What is an approved contractor?
Founded in 1993, LCH is a nonprofit public benefit association that specializes in housing related issues. It is LCH's job to perform background investigations on contractors participating in various programs sponsored by the utility companies such as the Home Energy Upgrade Financing (HEUF). The contractors on your list are required to pass a rigorous background check to insure that they are credible business operators capable of providing the type of work requested. The background investigation includes the following:
- Proof of insurance for general liability and workers compensation insurance.
- The contractor must be in good standing with the CA Contractors State License Board.
- A satisfactory public record report through the Building Industry Credit Association as well as a satisfactory report from the Better Business Bureau.
- Business credit is evaluated to insure that the contractor has an acceptable credit rating.
- Interviews of both past customers as well as trade references for the contractor are conducted in order to learn more about their business practices.
Contractor Application: Contractors pay a fee of $365 per year to defray the cost of both credit and public reports used in our background examination. Please note: Payment of the fee does not guarantee program "Approval."
Pricing: As this program is not able to mandate price ceilings, we recommend that you obtain more than one written bid or estimate for price comparison. Note: Competing bids help to secure the best price. If you have any questions about your contractor, our toll free phone number is: 1 (800) 692-HOME.
Disclaimer: It is important to mention that while LCH has performed the best investigation possible, we cannot guarantee workmanship or materials for these contractors.
Information: In case you are interested in knowing more about LCH, please contact us. Our toll-free number is 1 (800) 692-4663, we will be happy to help explain more about our mission and our services.